Sunday, May 6, 2007

The Death of Boxing

So last night I paid 55 bucks to watch Oscar De La Hoya fight Floyd Mayweather, and I gotta tell ya I am very disappointed.

In a time where boxing is wondering why it is losing a huge chunk of it's audience to MMA venues, last night's fight makes it painfully obvious.

I don't know which fight the judges were watching, but I watched a fight where Oscar De La Hoya clearly was the dominant fighter. The entire fight was controlled by him. yet somehow the judges only saw Mayweather's hits. I mean doesn't aggression, and control of the fight count for anything in boxing anymore? It seems that a guy like Mayweather, (who is a great fighter by the way) just has to lay back and throw a jab and land it every once in a while to win a fight.

It looked to me like he was running from De La Hoya the whole fight. I think the boxing commission really needs to re evaluate the way it scores fights. This will probably be the last fight I ever pay for. I'll stick with MMA thanks.

Iceman vs Rampage May 26th. I hope Chuck beats the snot out of Quinten.

Just my thought for the day.

2 comments:

snatch508 said...

Oscar not only dominated the fight, he clearly landed the more powerful punches. Effective aggressiveness is key, and DLH did just that. Not only was the scoring off, but the grotesquely biased commentating made the main event a less enjoyable experience. In the early part of the fight DLH landed about 7 or 8 body shots and had GAY-weather on the ropes and nothing is said of it. Yet when Mayweather lands a slapping shot to the shoulder its billed as "the most effective shot in the exchange", come on people!! But of course I dont have to tell you this, you were there. Oscar, you are a winner in my books buddy! 115-113 in my eyes buddy! Great fight!

Politics of a Patriot said...

All I know is that after my dad and brother went to actually watch two big names box years ago... they decided boxing was totally fake and never watched it again.

I'm still thanking God for this on a daily basis. :)