Monday, April 30, 2007

What a Waste

You know. I live in this little town out here in the middle of nowhere, and some of the things I hear on a regular basis..... Man I tell you what.

The median income here is somewhere in the 20's. That's right the 20's. Without giving away my location, I tell you that's about a third of what a family actually needs to survive comfortably out here. So it surprises me everyday when I talk to a young man who is recently married, is 23 years old, has a new baby on the way, and works at Taco Bell, telling me how he has "it all figured out."

I remember when I was 21 and getting ready to get married thinking how in the hell am I going provide for a family working as a cook? So into the recruiting station I go. Thirteen years later I think WOW thank God a recruiter was there that day. I shudder to think where I would be now. Really I do. I owe everything in my life to God and the Army. Without either of those things I would be nowhere.

Getting back to the point. Well I guess that was the point. I guess what I am trying to say is why not give the recruiter a chance? Why not sit down with him, and just maybe see if there is something there. I mean Taco Bell is never going to pay what we pay. Taco Bell is never going to give you all the money for college you will ever need. Taco Bell is never going to provide your family with the health care benefits we have. Stop being scared to admit your way isn't working. Sorry bud, I understand how much you want to be the next Jeremy Mcgrath, but get real. It's probably not going to happen.

Is the thought of going to Iraq that scary? Is the thought of maybe serving a cause greater than YOU (yeah I know nothing is more important than you) really a bad thing? You know you can take the dirt bike with you when you go to Fort Hood or wherever? In fact we'll pay to ship it there.

OMG I don't wanna die in Iraq!! That is a profound statement. So I am going to post a link hopefully I get it right. I thought whoever is reading this might find this interesting. Compare that to the current toll in Iraq and Afghanistan combined 3500 or so in 4 years. Don't get me wrong I think everyone of those losses brings me great sadness, but get real. More people are killed by drunk drivers every year.

Just my thought for the day.

http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html

No comments: