Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Prices

So I was at a grocery store today and I noticed something intriging and I was wondering why nobody is complaining yet.

I will leave off the brand names, but these are real prices by the gallon of some items at a real grocery store.

Baby Wash and Shampoo $90.88 PG
Mexican Beer $14.08 PG
Tequila $52.48 PG
Dr or Mr Something $8.96 PG
Island Water $6.40 PG
Cranberry Juice $33.28 PG
OJ (not the killer) $3.84 PG
Soy Sauce $28.16 PG
Dish Soap $12.80 PG
Fabric Softener $14.08 PG
Tomato Pasta Sauce $20.48 PG
Alfredo Sauce $33.28 PG

How come nobody is on the news crying about how much this stuff costs. Really how much could it cost to make a gallon of pasta sauce? 20 cents tops. Yet nobody is complaining about price gouging, or unfair profit margins. Ninety dollars a gallon for some baby shampoo? Wow

5 comments:

SFC B said...

I think part of it is that a gallon on tomato sauce will last my household about 30 meals, or about 3 months. A gallon of gas will last me anywhere between 20-60 miles depending on the vehicle I'm driving and the traffic conditions.

In the time it takes me to go through $90 in tomato sauce I'll have likely gone through $400 worth of gasoline by myself. And closer to $600 if you factor in the household useage. It's an expense I notice immediatly, often, and it's unavoidable so increases in the cost of a gallon of go-juice are far, far easier to notice.

The single most expensivese item I use, by weight, are razor blades. IIRC the Gilette Fusion cartridges cost a couple hundred dollars per pound.

Mr. Station Commander Man said...

Well said. I was waiting for someone to notice this post. I figured it would stir more controversy than it did.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry about the price of Fusion razor blades, Gilette will replace them with something even more expensive in another year or two.

SSG K

SFC B said...

It takes a while to have anyone notice what you do. I do check here almost daily though FWIW.

Dave said...

Milk's getting up there too... Five bucks or thereabouts, I think. And it's not like the cow dies after it gives milk. I've always wondered what that's all about. Stupid renewable resource.